Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

Well the unofficial start to summer is upon us.  Although I can honestly say it does not feel very summery here in Chi-town area.

With the weather being less than stellar it has given me time to reflect on what this holiday is truly about.  This holiday is to celebrate those that have dedicated their lives to protect our freedoms.  There is something pretty amazing about a person that can be that strong.  I know that often times individuals enter the military for all different kinds of reasons.  I don't really care their reason.  Their selflessness in putting their lives on the line for our country in whatever capacity is something to be celebrated and admired.

I would like to take a moment to thank with all my heart those who have served, are serving, and have lost their lives to protect my freedoms.  Most importantly I want to thank their families.  I can't imagine what it must be like to have someone you love so far away.  Military families sacrifice for all of us daily and I am grateful to them as well.  They provide the support to those service men and women that are out protecting our freedoms every single day.

Honoring those that protect our country isn't (or shouldn't be) about politics.  I don't care if you agree with whatever war(s) our government is engaging in.  As AMERICANS we should ALL be offering a debt of gratitude to those who fight every day to give us all the freedom to live in a democracy (as flawed as it might be).  Politics should NEVER take precedence when it comes to giving thanks and well wishes to those that fight for this country.

So please take a moment this weekend to reflect on what freedoms you have that are constantly being protected by our service men and women in all branches.  I would also like to personally thank each and every one of you for what you have given to our country.  May all those that have perished in their fight to protect America be blessed.  May their families be blessed and know that without their ultimate sacrifice America could be a far different place today.

No matter how flawed America may be and how badly our political system is at the moment.  I am proud to be able to call America home.  I hope that we can learn from our mistakes and move forward stronger and more prosperous, for me and most importantly my children.  There is no doubt that we as citizens have a lot of work to do, and many people to hold accountable for the reinvigoration of America.  We need to hold ourselves accountable so that all the sacrifices that our service men and women make are not in vain.

My pledge to myself this Memorial Day is to become more educated about what is going on in our country.  To be more vocal when I can be about things that I don't agree with.  To not allow party lines to blur what I believe is the right thing for our country.  I don't only owe it to myself and my children, but I owe it to all those that have come before me and fought to allow me the freedom to have these opportunities.  That is my pledge on this special weekend.  I encourage you all to do the same.


In the words of Lee Greenwood, "I am proud to be an American, where at least I know I am free.  And I won't forget the men (and women) who died who gave that right to me.  And I'll gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today.  'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land.  God Bless the USA!


2 comments:

  1. Great Post! Happy Memorial Day and sending Rainbow Love and Kitteh's Hugs to you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete