Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Magic" the Elf

The Elf on the Shelf, that lovely and sweet little tradition that is meant to be a family experience.  Why do I feel like it's a tool that my husband and I use for 30 or so days a year to "bribe" the kids to behave. This whole elf that moves around the house watching the kids all day, am I the only one that finds this a bit creepy?  Last year I thought it was totally adorable (except the 2 times that "Magic" forgot to find a new spot in the AM).  This year I am finding it weird.  I don't know what has changed.  I was ecstatic last year that the kids picked a cute name that didn't make me want to scream every time I spoke it.  This year I look at him and I am totally creeped out.  In fact he's creeptastically staring at me right now as he sits on the Christmas tree.  The kids love it.  They remind each other that "Magic" is watching, and Santa will know.  Why don't they just behave all the time.  Why is the threat of a creepy looking elf and a big white haired fat guy move them to best behavior ever.

Are my husband and I such pushovers that the threat of Santa is better than the sum total of our parenting skills?? I don't feel like it's about the presents yet because they haven't asked for anything crazy or outrageous.  I just don't get it and I don't know why I don't get it.  This is the same thing that my parents did (minus the creepy elf).  Should I be using these things to get the easy month out of my toddlers?  Am I completely overreacting?  Or and I just having a hard time because that creepy little elf  is watching my every move?


No comments:

Post a Comment